Small Decisions--Big Results!

                                                        Small Decisions--Big Results!

      When we moved into our home in South Jordan, Utah, in July of 2008, my husband was in the hospital with a very serious bleeding ulcer. I had purchased a large side-by-side stainless steel refrigerator by myself at RC Wiley. When it was plugged in, the fridge wouldn’t work. “Well,” the deliveryman said, “it looks like we’ll will have to replace it!” Then, he paused and said, “Wait a minute! I’ve got a part in my truck that I’ll replace to see if I can get this fridge to work!” He put in the part and our new refrigerator started to deliver power and hum! I asked him for that part. He called it a “converter.” That fridge is still running after 11 years. I have that small part. It can fit easily in the palm of my hand. I have kept it to remind me that often times seemingly *small decisions--yield big results! We can use this analogy in many areas of our lives!

       To begin, we purchased a book called, The 3-Word Journal by Randall Wright years ago. The concept is this: when a long-forgotten memory suddenly comes to your mind about an event from your life, keep a small journal, and pen just three short words to recall this memory. It’s a very small idea and makes for a great big-time saver when you gather all of these and write your life story. You’ll see it as huge, really--not just a big idea!

     I have seen a lot of these small decisions go on to have huge results in my life! Please let me explain. As some of you know, we have been compiling our life stories and the histories of our cool ancestors. Many of my own life events came from seemingly small decisions and moments! I am going to briefly comment here on just a few that I have written in more detail in my personal history. My life is full of these! And, so is yours!! So, here goes!
    
1.      A small promise at age 5, that I would always take care of my mother would be my life-long service to her.
2.      A small promise I wrote down in a letter to my father when I was 12 years old, that I would marry in the temple someday, came to be almost nine years later and continues to produce big dividends!
3.      When Jim had to choose where to finish his Air Force service, his first 2 choices were California locations. He then had to make a 3rd choice. Hmm! Idaho-Mountain Home, TX, or SD. He chose Mtn. Home thinking that mountains sounded good. He was shocked when they gave him his 3rd choice! He soon found out that Mountain Home was desert! Any other place, and I would never have met him! This changed all of our lives!
4.      A chance observation of a young man (who was a newly baptized airman) in the Boise First Ward choir, 1958, resulted in a blind date and my future husband, Jim Shepherd! Small moment and—huge returns!
5.      A quiet “Yes, I will,” across a white altar stretches on through eternities of love, devotion, and commitment.
6.      A small decision to regularly study the scriptures brings huge spiritual rewards and builds strong testimonies!
7.      What would have been the outcome of our family if we had stayed in California to raise our children? A small decision was made to move from San Jose, CA, in 1970, to Boise, ID. Results: Boise-was a great place to raise a family; our kids interacted with their Grandparents; and we were there to take care of my aging parents.
8.      When my father had a life-changing stroke in 1979, my arthritic mother asked, “Who will take care of us now?” I said, “I will,” a simple reply. This turned out to be a huge commitment for me and our young family.
9.      A single diagnosis: Jim--Diabetes in 1991, has changed our whole lifestyle in a huge way for the last 28 years!

     It seems a few years ago, 1960, two young kids, Jim and I, started our life-journey together. Six amazing kids were given to us, each as different as can be. Wonderful sons and daughters-in-law were then added and from them came 17 incredible grandchildren! Now 58 years later, those little kids are growing to adulthood, marrying, and having kids of their own! Oh, what a ride! From two came many!

     *Only imagine the joy for the two of us, to have our large family together on my 80th birthday on Nov. 29-30, 2019, (Fri., Sat., home Sunday) of Thanksgiving weekend at a huge lodge in Eden, UT! (This will allow you who have Thursday dinner commitments to fulfill them. If so, come early for breakfast Friday, 9 AM.) Please make plans to be there! And, we have a very special gift on Friday for everyone in attendance! We promise it will be worth your effort! 😊 We’ll have a great time, make lasting memories, and have a great big family photo taken! Hopefully, this fun weekend will be a “converter” that acts as a “connection” with siblings, aunts, uncles, in-laws, cousins, and new family members! Check-in is 3 PM Thursday. Our Thanksgiving dinner will be on Friday! More information and map are forthcoming! We’d like you all to secure the date and come. Small decision-big results!

      I have found that there are many moments that happen in our lives that seem small at the time which can actually be huge turning points in our lives. A small decision here and there can make all the difference in the world with big results! Some are good decisions; some not so good, however, they all have consequences and are part of our story.                                                                                                                                              Memories of Carol Ann Millar Shepherd, May, 2019

Comments