The Million-Dollar Suit--David Shepherd


The Million-Dollar Suit


     The boys who were Priest age in the Boise First Ward had set their own dress standard to bless the Sacrament in 1988-89. Many of them wore a very casual attire of colored shirts and casual pants to perform that sacred ordinance. I was very concerned about our son, David Shepherd, who was turning 16, and how he would be affected by this. Our boys had worn suits to Church since they were little. David, NOT wanting to stand out differently from his peers, was very protective of his position in this whole situation. However, I came from a home where I was taught when a boy blessed the Sacrament, he dressed in a suit, white shirt, and tie out of respect for that calling! Deacons could wear white shirts, a tie, and nice pants.

As his birthday came, I chose my words very carefully with him one day as we had the following discussion, “David, you have turned 16 and have been ordained a Priest. What would it take to have you wear a suit, white shirt, and tie when you bless the Sacrament next Sunday?”

“Well,” he thoughtfully replied, “If we could go out to the Mall to Jay Jacobs, and you buy the suit of MY choice, and shirt, and tie, then I would wear them to Church to bless the Sacrament!” He knew I was too frugal to pay full price, and it would never happen! I thought he was just throwing that comment out there!

“Let’s see if I’ve got this straight. If I take you to Jay Jacobs and let you pick out a suit, shirt, and tie of your choice, then you are telling me that you will wear it to Church on Sunday? I won’t have to remind you, nag nor bug you to wear it. You promise that you’ll just wear it every Sunday?” I bargained.

He quickly replied, “Yes! I promise I will.”

So, the next night after school David and I went to the Boise Mall to Jay Jacobs (fancy men’s wear store). There he selected a beautiful suit, shirt, tie, belt, and socks, etc. (Get the picture?) It was ready to be picked up by Friday in time for Church on Sunday when David would be blessing the Sacrament for the first time. That $129 suit would be in the $300-$400 range in today’s economy. I swallowed hard and wrote the check. Jim totally supported what we were doing!

Sunday came, and I was sitting with the rest of our family on the right side of the chapel facing the Sacrament table. There was David Shepherd sitting up there facing the congregation in that beautiful suit! He actually stood out because he looked so sharp—actually incredible! Then the Spirit whispered to me, “That isn’t a $129 suit David is wearing; it’s a ‘million-dollar suit.’ David is going on a mission!” He looked like a missionary! The tears just flowed down my cheeks in gratitude to my Heavenly Father for that special witness! He wore that suit every Sunday as promised. And, yes, he did go on a mission when he turned 19! He was called to the Oklahoma, Oklahoma City Mission and was a great missionary!

There is power in one person doing the right thing! David set an example, and the younger boys followed. The dress code was elevated for administering the Sacrament in the Boise First Ward. When David went on a mission, all the younger boys, as they turned 19, went on missions, too. Brian was 19 months younger than his brother. These two brothers’ missions overlapped in 1994 for five months (Oklahoma and Brazil).

When David came home, he met Jennifer Blakeslee, and the rest is history as they say. They fell in love and were eventually married in the Boise Temple, both graduated from BSU, and have good careers and family, Tyler, Aubrey, and Sarah. David has served as a Counselor in the Bishopric, High Priest Group Leader, and recently was called to the Stake High Council. We are grateful for his faithfulness and that “million-dollar suit,” and the mark it made in his life!                                  
                                                                       Memories of Carol Ann Shepherd 11-6-18



Comments